Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Rocky Road Fudge

I printed off this recipe almost a year ago, and I have really wanted to try it.  It sounds great to me, but I don't think Andy or the boys will be crazy about it.  Lucky for me I have a sleepover to go to for church with the young women, and I hope this will be a hit there.

I have a recipe for fudge that I love.  It's from my grandma.  Apparently she's Swedish.  And she was a maid.  Making her a "Swedish Maid."  I guess being a maid was based on more than just your cleaning abilities, but maids relied heavily on their cooking skills to be employed.  (My grandma was a terrific cook.)  I don't know where she got her fudge recipe, but it took a lot of convincing for her to get it from her source.  As far as I know she didn't share the recipe with many people either, and the only people that I am sure she gave the recipe to are in the family.  Now that she isn't around anymore there are members of my family who insist that we keep the recipe secret for her.

Just to make sure I am clear on this:  I'd love to share my grandma's recipe because it's so good, and I think it's great for people to be able to have yummy things to eat.  It would make me sad to eat something delicious and not be able to get the recipe because it's a secret, but at the same time I can respect that.  Out of fear of being disowned by my family I keep that recipe secret.  Sorry!

This is an alternative fudge recipe that is easy and tasty.  I love Rocky Road ice cream, and this hit the spot without the upset stomach that ice cream gives me these days. 

I found the recipe here.  (I am so excited I finally learned how to hide the link like that!!!)  Another winner from BudgetBytes!

Here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS
3 cups (18 oz.) chocolate chips (Any combination you like.  I did half milk choc. half semi sweet)            
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk        
1/4 tsp salt       
1 cup unsalted peanuts
1.5 cups mini marshmallows     

STEP 1: Prepare an 8x8 baking dish by lining with foil or parchment paper. If you have a hard time lining the sides with parchment, just cut a piece to fit the bottom and then coat the sides with non-stick spray.

STEP 2: In a large pot, combine the chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and salt. Turn the heat on to the lowest setting and melt the ingredients together while continuously stirring. Use a heavy bottomed pot and stir constantly to prevent scorching. Heat and stir until the mixture is completely smooth.

STEP 3: Stir in the peanuts and marshmallows. The peanuts and marshmallows will make the temperature of the fudge drop quickly so it may look slightly gritty. Just continue to stir over low heat until it smoothes out again.

STEP 4: Spread the mixture out into the prepared baking dish and refrigerate until it is completely cold. Remove the fudge from the dish and cut into 16 squares with a sharp knife. Enjoy!

(I cut the fudge into 30 pieces instead of 16.)

The boys were happy to help clean the spoons.

Looks good, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment