Thursday, May 10, 2012

Middle Eastern Sloppy Joes

I can't remember the first time I had these.  It has been years.  I made it with Ruth and Dan.  Two things I remember from the first time we made these:  1-  It is delicious!  I thought cinnamon was an odd ingredient in a savory dish, but it's really tasty.  2-  Pine nuts burn really fast, so you need to pay close attention while toasting them.

Sometimes we serve these on hamburger buns, but I also love it on naan.

Here's the recipe:


Here's what you need:

1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
6 green onions or scallions, sliced thin, white and green parts separated
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. coarse salt
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
¼ cup golden raisins

1 pound ground turkey (or beef)
¼ cup non-fat plain yogurt
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
4 whole wheat pita bread loaves, sliced in half and warmed
1 medium cucumber sliced thin
1 medium tomato sliced thin
freshly ground pepper

Here's how to make it:

Heat olive oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add white part of green onions, cinnamon, salt and pepper and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, diced tomatoes and raisins and cook over high heat until mixture is almost dry, about 5 minutes. Add the turkey and cook, stirring until meat is cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the green part of the green onions, yogurt, and toasted pine nuts. Serve mixture stuffed into warm pita with tomato and cucumber slices.


I have a picture of the meal, but for some reason it isn't working... I'll keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment