Sunday, September 21, 2014

Crazy Campers 2014

Well, we decided to test out all our new, great camping gear Friday night. The weather was looking good, so we went for it. I was a little surprised just how long it took me to gather everything and pack up. We got Abe from school and off we went!

The weather was lovely. Andy and I got our tent set up in a few minutes (I love our tent!), then Andy was the fire king. The camp site provided wood as part of the fee, but it was all wet. After finding more and more and more leaves and sticks we got a really good fire blazing. We roasted hot dogs, made s'mores and ran around and played outside. Then things started to fall apart.

Simon would not sleep. We have a big seven person tent, so we had plenty of space for the pack n play, but he just screamed and screamed. I could have handled it, knowing he would wear himself out, but we knew there was another group of campers a few sites over. I know I wouldn't want to hear somebody else's kid making such a fuss. So we all went to bed, which helped calm Simon down. After a while all the boys fell asleep. We're not exactly sure why Abe's toes were hurting, but he woke up in some serious pain. He was sobbing and crying and we couldn't get him to calm down. All the noise woke Simon up, and he refused to go back to sleep. We did get Abe to take some Ibuprofen, but he spilled most of it on his pillow and himself, so he got all upset over that too. ~sigh~

Once the medicine kicked in Abe was able to doze off again. But Simon was wired. We had tried to turn off all our devices/phones and really unplug and enjoy nature for the night, but Andy caved and turned on a movie on his phone to at least get Simon to hold still. We tried everything to get Simon to be quiet and go to sleep, but he was resilient. I took him to the van figuring he'd pass out once he was strapped in his car seat. Nope! He just wanted to chat. Andy took over in the van for a bit, and while I was in the tent we sent a flurry of texts back and forth debating if we should just go home to get Simon in his bed. We decided around 3 am to pack up and go. We were ready in a flash, only to discover the battery to the minivan was dead. We were waiting for roadside assistance to come jump the van, when we had a prayer and miraculously the car started!

The boys and I had really wanted to go camping, so I am glad we did it. I don't think we will have a family camping trip for a few more years.

The boys loved the fly swatter.

 photo 20140919_174540.jpg

Cuties.

 photo 20140919_174659.jpg

Dinner! (I wanted to do tin foil dinners, but I knew the boys would prefer hot dogs.)

 photo 20140919_183549.jpg

You can't tell from this picture, but Simon was filthy. He loved playing in the dirt.

 photo 20140919_183635.jpg

Make a silly face!

 photo 20140919_184545.jpg

S'mores for Simon.

 photo 20140919_184657.jpg

Proof that I was there too. (We got jumbo marshmallows for the s'mores. They were awesome!)

 photo 20140919_185343.jpg

Abe

 photo 20140919_194510.jpg

I have to admit, Eli was our best camper.

 photo 20140919_194539.jpg

Crazy boys!

 photo 20140919_194616.jpg

It's a little grainy because the sun was going down, but we tried a camping selfie.

 photo 20140919_194739.jpg

Even though we were tired from a night of no sleep we made it down town in the morning for the Harrison Rally Day parade. The boys got lots of candy.

 photo 20140920_101059.jpg

I don't know how he managed to be happy here. We were so tired all day.

 photo 20140920_101518.jpg


1 comment:

  1. Bummer about the camping trip! Your boys are absolutely adorable though!!!

    ReplyDelete