Monday, March 26, 2012

Orange Muffins

This recipe came to my attention via Pinterest. Here's the original post: http://annies-eats.com/2010/04/16/orange-muffins/

We really liked these. They are soft and flavorful. I did squeeze fresh orange juice for this batch. I'd be curious to use store-bought juice and see if they are as good.

After a few days I put these in the fridge, because they are so fresh and moist, I didn't want them to get moldy before we were able to eat them. The texture wasn't as good once they had been chilled. I think next time I'll just half the recipe and we'll be able to eat them fast enough.

Here's the recipe:

Yield: about 2 dozen muffins

Ingredients:
For the muffins:
1 cup milk
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
½ cup sour cream
2 large eggs
2 sticks (16 tbsp.) unsalted butter, melted
3½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1½ tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
Zest of 1 orange (organic if possible)

For the glaze:
¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
1-2 tsp. orange zest (organic if possible)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line 16 wells of a muffin pan (or pans) with paper liners. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the milk, orange juice, sour cream, eggs and melted butter. Whisk together to blend. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir to blend. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Fold in the orange zest with a spatula.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups. Bake about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack placed over a baking sheet.

To make the glaze, combine the orange juice, confectioners’ sugar, and orange zest in a small bowl. Whisk together until smooth, adding more juice if necessary to achieve your preferred consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins while they are still warm. Allow the glaze to set before serving. Store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

  1. We made these tonight. Was the batter WAY thick?? They taste pretty yummy. Not as orange-y as I was expecting though. In fact, I think the only reason we can taste any orange is from the tasty glaze. Although they're not quite what I expected (cupcake-ish) I still consider them a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libby, I'm glad you liked these okay. I think the batter was pretty thick. I think I added a little extra milk. And now that you mention it, I remember the orange flavor being subtle, but good.

    ReplyDelete