Thursday, March 8, 2012

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

This recipe is from my good friend Laura. We don't do this recipe often because a roast is about $4 per pound on sale (that is a little pricey for us), and it's really fatty, but on a cold winter night it hits the spot!

The recipe doesn't call for it, but I love potatoes and carrots with this roast. If you put them in the bottom and let them cook with the meat the entire time they are amazing. The potatoes are my favorite part of this meal. They get super soft, and they absorb all the flavor from the gravy. YUM!!

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 (10.75 oz) can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 (1 oz) package dry onion soup mix
water
5 1/2 pounds pot roast
(I add carrots and potatoes)

Directions:

Combine Cream of Mushroom soup and dry onion soup mix together. I use the empty soup can and fill it halfway or all the way and add that to the soup mixture. If you're cooking carrots and potatoes you can put those on the bottom of the slow cooker. The meat goes over the veggies. The gravy mixture goes on top of the meat. Put the lid on the cooker and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 8 to 9 hours.

You can wait and add the veggies later, but I like them really soft and flavorful, so I add them first.

You could also brown the roast before adding it to the slow cooker.
Photobucket

The meat goes on top of the veggies. Mix up the gravy, pour it over everything.

Photobucket

Put the lid on. Leave it alone for 8 hours on low. Pull everything out, and dish it up!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment