Sunday, June 24, 2012

Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole

There are a few reasons I wanted to try this recipe.  First, I somehow ended up with way more broccoli than I knew what to do with.  Second, it uses a lot of rice, and I want good recipes to use more rice.  Third, it looked easy and fast and I need that for the summertime.  We have been so busy running around to parks and the pool, and I don't want to spend much time in the kitchen right now.  (I love summer!)  Fourth, it apparently freezes well, so I am starting to experiment with what recipes we like that I will be able to freeze and stock up our freezer before the baby comes in October.

I found this from Money Saving Mom here: http://moneysavingmom.com/2012/05/4-weeks-to-fill-your-freezer-chicken-broccoli-rice-casserole-day-14.html   I really enjoy looking at ideas and recipes from this blog.

This was super easy.  I halved the recipe, since it was my first time making it.  I didn't want four meals worth of this casserole if it turned out gross.  The boys were hesitant to eat it at first, but in the end they ate it up.  I thought it was pretty good.  I'm interested in trying her recipes for cream of mushroom and chicken soups.  Andy's only comment about this meal was that it had a lot of rice.  Maybe next time I'll use slightly less rice...  But I will be making this again.

Also, it says to add salt and pepper to taste.  I always have a hard time knowing how much to use.  I didn't add any salt to the casserole before baking it because I figured the cream of chicken and mushroom soups have quite a bit of sodium already.  I felt it needed salt, so sprinkled some on top to my serving. Next time I'll add some (I have no idea how much) to the casserole before baking and see how it goes.

Here's the recipe:

Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole

  • 10 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
  • 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
  • 4 cups chopped broccoli, lightly steamed (can use frozen or fresh)
  • 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
To freeze: Divide into four ziptop freezer bags and seal tightly. Freeze flat.
To serve: Thaw overnight (or for 8 hours) in the refrigerator. Dump into a greased casserole dish (each bag will fill an 8×8-inch pan; two bags will fill a 9×13-inch pan). Sprinkle with additional shredded cheese, if desired.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly.
This recipe makes around 15-18 servings. Each freezer bag serves 4-5 people.
Recipe adapted from Once a Month Mom.



No comments:

Post a Comment