Saturday, June 16, 2012

CopyCat Cafe Rio Pork

I thought I had posted this recipe before, but I was looking for it and couldn't find it.  What a shame!  So here is this great recipe that I found online...  I can't seem to locate exactly where I found this, so I'll keep looking.  I'd like to give credit where it is due.  This recipe is great!  It's not exactly right, but it's the closest I've been able to find so far.

Cafe Rio is my favorite restaurant in Utah.  I liked to get the pork burrito which has a fresh tortilla, pork barbacoa (it's not BBQ pork, it's really sweet), cilantro-lime rice, black beans (or pinto if you prefer), and Mexican cheese.  I always got mine "Enchilada Style" which is covered with an enchilada sauce (I like it mild), and cheese and baked quickly.  On the side they serve some pico de gallo and fresh chopped lettuce.  It is one of my very favorite things to eat.

If I didn't get the burrito there I loved the salad!  It is mostly the same, but they start with a huge, fresh tortilla on the bottom and then add a ton of romaine lettuce, meat (I always get the pork), cilantro-lime rice, black beans, Mexican Cheese, pico de gallo, guacamole, tortilla strips, Cotija cheese, and an amazing dressing.  I always got the Creamy Tomatillo.  

Since there aren't any Cafe Rio restaurants nearby, (or Costa Vida, which is pretty much the same thing) I have done my best to find recipes so I can make it at home.

This is the recipe I use for the Pork Barbacoa.  It makes a lot.  Abe and Eli don't like it (they must be crazy or something), so when I make it I plan on having it for dinner two nights and having extra for leftover lunches too.

PORK

2 pounds boneless pork rib meat (I use pork loin because it's cheap and lean)
3 cans Coke (NOT diet) (I use Dr. Pepper)
1/4 c. brown sugar
dash garlic salt
1/4 c. water

7 oz can diced green chilies
10oz can red enchilada sauce (I like this mild)
1 c. brown sugar

Put the pork in a heavy duty ziploc bag to marinade. Add about a can and a half of coke and about 1/4 c. of brown sugar. Marinade for a few hours or overnight.
Drain marinade and put pork, 1/2 can of coke, water, and garlic salt in crock pot on high for about 3-4 hours (or until it shreds easily, but don't let it get TOO dry) or on low for 8 hours. Remove pork from crock pot and drain any liquid left in the pot. Shred pork.

In a food processor or blender, blend 1/2 can Coke, chilies, enchilada sauce and remaining brown sugar (about a cup, you can add a little more or less to taste..). If it looks too thick, add more Coke little by little.

Put shredded pork and sauce in crockpot and cook on low for 2 hours. That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment