I have made this recipe with many variations: With/without eggs, with/without green onions, I never use celery, because I don't care for that stuff. I also have experimented with different amounts of mustard, sweet relish, vinegar and seasoning salt. It has always turned out delicious! I have found that I like it best with green onions and almost double the relish, mustard and vinegar. She doesn't give an amount for the seasoning salt. I use slightly less than 1 Tbs. I know that's a lot, but the flavor really mellows out once it has been in the fridge, and this way you can still get some of the yummy flavor.
Here's the recipe:
INGREDIENTS
3 lbs. yukon
gold potatoes (I'm not sure what kind I use, but they are white)
1 tsp. salt
2 large hard boiled
eggs (see step #2)
3/4 cup light mayonnaise
2 sliced green onions
1 stalk celery (I always skip this)
1 Tbsp sweet relish (I use almost twice this much)
1 Tbsp mustard (I use almost twice this much)
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (I use almost twice this much)
to taste fresh black pepper (I skip this)
to taste tony caschere's (or seasoning salt) (No amount is listed, so I use about 1 Tbsp.)
STEP 1: Peel, wash and cut your potatoes into one inch
cubes. Place them in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add 1 tsp of salt
to the water and bring it to a boil over high heat. Boil the potatoes until
they are tender (about ten minutes) then drain in a colander and let them cool.
It is crucial that the potatoes are fully cooked otherwise your salad will be
ruined. To test the potatoes, pull out the largest piece you can find and test
the softness with a fork.
STEP 2: While the potatoes are cooking, begin to cook your
hard boiled eggs. Place the eggs in a small pot and cover them with cold water.
Bring the pot to a boil over high heat. If your eggs were cold (just out of the
fridge), let them boil for one minute. If they were room temperature, turn the
heat off just after it reaches a rolling boil. After the one minute of boiling
(for cold eggs), turn the heat off and cover with a lid. Let the eggs sit for
exactly 15 minutes (use a timer) then place the pot in the sink and run cold
water over them for one minute to stop the cooking process. This should yield
the perfect hard boiled egg.
STEP 3: While the potatoes and eggs are boiling away, rinse
and finely dice the celery and green onions.
STEP 4: While the potatoes and eggs are cooling, mix
together the mayonnaise, mustard, pepper, relish and red wine vinegar in a
bowl. Sprinkle on a little Tony's or seasoning salt, mix and taste test for
more. Once you have the dressing to your liking, mix in the chopped celery and
onion. Remember, you want your dressing to be a little on the strong side
because once it mixes with the starchy potatoes it will mellow out.
STEP 5: Peel and dice the hard boiled eggs. Mix the potatoes
and eggs into the dressing. Taste the mixture to test for any additional
seasoning needed. Refrigerate until cold then serve!
Do you ever leave the skins on your potatoes? I'm super laze when it comes to peeling, and am wondering how that would turn out. Maybe I'll get some relish and give it a go. . .
ReplyDeleteI never had before, but since you brought it up I tried leaving skins on half of the potatoes this time. I like leaving the skins on for the nutritional value that it adds, but I don't love the texture. I think using red potatoes and keeping the skins on would look nice and still have a pleasing flavor/texture to me. It's amazing how many variations of potato salad you can make depending on personal preference. I've been consistently leaving out the eggs and celery and putting in more green onions. I love it!
ReplyDelete