Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fried Rice

I think my sister Ruth shared this recipe with me.  She has lots of great recipes, not to mention Chinese food recipes, so I think I owe her a big thanks for this one.  Here's the link.

I love fried rice, but Andy doesn't, so I don't make it very often.  I made this earlier this week and found out that Eli also loves Fried rice!  With this discovery I think fried rice will be making more frequent appearances in our home.

When I make this I skip the mushrooms and chile flakes.  I rarely use fresh ginger, even though I love it, because I can never use it up before it molds and I can't stand throwing away food.

A useful tip that I have written on my copy is to to do all the prep work first.  It cooks up really fast.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
  • 8 dried shiitake mushrooms
  • 3 tablespoons peanut oil
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten with a pinch of kosher salt
  • 4 scallions (white and green), thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup minced carrot (I use way more.  I love carrots.)
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • Pinch red chile flakes(I skip these.  My boys won't eat anything too spicy.)
  • 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger (I use powdered.  I think I use a heaping 1/4 teaspoon.)
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
  • 1 cup cooked meat cut in 1/2-inch cubes, such as pork, ham, beef, or chicken (This last time I used 4 oz ham.  It was a high quality thick cut lunch meat.  It was great.)
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas, defrosted in a strainer at room temperature
Directions
Put the mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with boiling water and soak until re-hydrated, about 20 minutes. Drain, squeeze dry, and cut mushrooms in quarters. Set aside. 


Heat 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil in a well-seasoned wok or large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl to coat the pan. Pour in the eggs, swirl the pan so the egg forms a large thin pancake. (Lift the edge of the egg to allow any uncooked egg to run to the center.) As soon as the egg has set, turn it out of the pan onto a cutting board. Cool, cut into 1 inch pieces.


Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and heat the remaining peanut oil over high heat. Add the scallions and carrots and stir-fry for 1 1/2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, garlic, chile, and ginger, stir-fry for 1 minute more. Add the soy sauce, sesame oil and rice and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the meat, peas, and reserved egg, cook, stirring until heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.




1 comment:

  1. Rachael,
    Another Rachael (Rachael Ray...even spelled the same)had a GREAT tip regarding ginger that I've used and loved for years. When you get your ginger peel the entire piece and freeze it. It lasts forever frozen and then you can even shred it frozen in whatever dish you are making.

    Thanks for the recipes. I am making out a monthly menu and was stumped so I turned to your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete