Sunday, July 1, 2012

Mom's Blueberry Muffins

The last time I made blueberry muffins I used a recipe from one of my cookbooks, and was terribly disappointed.  They were dry and not sweet enough.  I have wonderful memories of my mom's blueberry muffins, so I got her terrific recipe and tried it out.  Like most recipes I get from my mother, I was unable to make them as delicious as she does, but they were still pretty great.

Here's the recipe:

Blueberry Break-Cakes

1 cup fresh (or frozen) blueberries
2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup milk

Wash blueberries and set aside to drain thoroughly.  (When I got the recipe from my mom she said that you need to make sure the berries are dry or they will sink.  You can dust them with flour to help prevent them from sinking.)  Cream butter and sugar together.  Mix in eggs, flour and baking powder.  Add milk and beat dough.  This will make a stiff dough.  Carefully fold in blueberries.  Bake in well- greased (or lined) muffin tins for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Yield:  12 muffins.


1 comment: