Monday, October 20, 2014

Apple Cider Pie

This was the pie I made for Simon's birthday. I have a great apple pie recipe from my mom, but this is really different. I found it in a library book of apple recipes. I wish I remembered what book it is...

Here's the recipe:

Apple Cider Pie

Pastry for a one-crust 9-inch pie (I used Aldi brand)

2 cups sliced apples
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs (I had XL, so that's what I used)
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup apple cider
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg (I followed the recipe on this, but next time I'll skip the nutmeg and double the cinnamon)
2 Tablespoons sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Fit crust into 9 inch pan. I used a deep dish pan here. 

Combine apples with lemon juice and sugar and spread out over crust. I used apples we had canned that already had sugar on them. Even so, I used the full 1/2 cup sugar here.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 20 more minutes.

Beat eggs slightly in a bowl. Stir in cream, cider, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour over apples. (Even with a deep dish the custard overflowed over the crust a little. It stayed in the dish, but I wonder if it's because the eggs were XL.)

Bake 15 more minutes.

Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoon sugar. (I think 1 Tablespoon would be plenty.) 

Bake 15 more minutes until top is golden. Cool 2 hours before cutting. The top of my pie never got golden. I cooked it an extra 2 1/2 minutes. Then I turned on the broiler and moved up the rack in the oven to be a little higher and broiled it 2 minutes. I took it out then because the middle seemed cooked through all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment