I love these apples! I posted how to make them for a friend on Facebook, but I thought this would be a good place to have the recipe too.
Apple Pie Apples This is what the recipe card from my mom says: 10 quarts About half bushel. 3 1/2 gal apples peeled 3 cups sugar (set all night)
Pack well into jars. Add nothing. Process 20 minutes, water bath.
1 qt is about 10 medium apples.
This is my translation:
I take about half a bushel of apples (we usually do Jonathans), wash, peel, core, and slice them up. The recipe calls for 3 and a half gallons of apples and 3 cups of sugar. (I take a 2 quart pitcher and fill it 7 times.) I put the apples sprinkled in sugar in a big container with a lid. Let it sit about 24 hours. Put them in jars (really pack them in) and water bath or steam the jars 20 minutes. They will be sticky, so be sure to wipe them off really well before storing them. We have the jars sit 24 hours before I move them to the basement.
Then I love to make pies, apple crisp, pancakes, apple dumplings, so many yummy things to use these for.

I use a corer, peeler, slicer to make it go faster. Then I chop it in half and toss it in the 2 quart pitcher.

I use a steamer to process the apples. (Water baths work, but since these are so light the jars move around a lot in the 20 minutes and it's common to end up with broken jars by the end. No thanks.) The ones on the left are after being steamed. They seem to puff up a little bit, but they will deflate and the jar sometimes looks half full, so that's why you really have to cram them in the jars before processing them. |
No comments:
Post a Comment