Thursday, October 2, 2014

Roast Chicken

I found this one here.  Thanks to my friend Kim for telling me about it.  Andy and I did Whole 30 during part of August/September.  I made this twice then, and I already made it once this week.  I skip the cayenne and black pepper, just because I don't like them.  This makes a lot of chicken, which I love for leftovers/casseroles.  I also love to make chicken broth with the bones.

Recipe makes 2 whole (4 pound) chickens

4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 onions, quartered
2 (4 pound) whole chickens

Directions

In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken cavity, and pat dry with paper towel. Rub each chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place 1 onion into the cavity of each chicken. Place chickens in a resealable bag or double wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 to 6 hours.

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).

Place chickens in a roasting pan. Bake uncovered for 5 hours, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Let the chickens stand for 10 minutes before carving.

 photo 20140930_162219.jpg

 photo 20140930_170829.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment