Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Bisquick Copycat

Growing up we always had pancakes made with Bisquick. I didn't realize you could make pancakes with flour and other ingredients for a long time. I have several pancake recipes that I enjoy, but I tried this recipe for kicks and I really liked it. The nice thing is with the Bisquick recipe you can use it for lots of different things. I like Bisquick for pancakes, waffles and there is a buttermilk pie recipe that I make that calls for Bisquick. (Just thinking about it makes me want some pie.)

Bottom line: I liked this recipe a lot. It's not exactly the same as boxed Bisquick, but it's close enough. I have only used it to make pancakes, so I'll have to see how much I like it in other applications.

Here's the recipe (I didn't write down where this recipe came from. On the internet somewhere):

Bisquick Baking Mix Copycat

6 cups all purpose flour
3 Tablespoons baking powder
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon canola oil

Whisk dry ingredients together. Mix well. Using an electric mixer, slowly stir in the oil. Mix until all the lumps are gone and mixture is uniform in texture- about 1 minute. (I used my hand mixer to mix in the oil. The lumps didn't go away, so I used my fingers to break up the big chunks and then used my hand mixer to finish it off.)

Store in an airtight container.

I am curious to calculate how much this costs to make. It yielded over 32 oz of mix. I know the 20 oz boxes of Bisquick are usually over $2. Although the bigger boxes are probably a better buy. I think I need to do some research.

Here is a picture of the pancakes I made. The ones on the left are the Copycat. They are slightly fluffier than the real Bisquick recipe.

Photobucket

To make the pancakes mix 2 cups of mix with 1 cup of milk and 2 eggs. Cook on a griddle.

1 comment: