Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Thanksgiving Dinner Casserole

I have so many recipes that I want to post, so I'll just get right to it:

I had some turkey that I was looking to use before we left for Disneyland and I searched online for a recipe. I had seen a recipe before to make a casserole using leftovers from Thanksgiving, and I was hoping to find something along those lines. I found lots of great ideas, but in the end I combined ingredients and baking temp./times from multiple recipes. Some called for mixed veggies or broccoli. Others had cheddar cheese on top. Especially to help get the boys to eat this, I left out the veggies and served them as a side dish. Cheddar cheese and stuffing together seems like an odd combination, so I skipped the cheese.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients-
About 4 cups cooked, chopped turkey
1 1/2 cups turkey gravy
2- 6 oz packages of Stove Top Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes (I think I used about 8 cups, but I didn't measure)

Directions-
This could be assembled in a 9x13 pan, or I did it in 2 8x8 dishes. I baked one and froze the other for later. (We had the frozen one for dinner last night and it was just as good as the one I baked right away. Hooray!)

First, spray the bottom of your baking dish(es). Combine the turkey and the gravy and put in the baking dish first. Layer mashed potatoes over the turkey/gravy. Spread the stuffing on top of the potatoes. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Andy loved this casserole. I thought it was great too. The boys wouldn't touch it the first time I made it, but last night we had peas as a side dish. I sprinkled them on Eli's dinner and it was like magic! He ate it all! My one complaint was the stuffing was crispy on top.

I will definitely make this again. I could see adding new layers and changing it up. For example, I think sweet potatoes would go really well in this dish.

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment