Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Apple Dumplings

I was looking through my recipe binders for something to make with apples. I have made this recipe once before. It has been a while. I found it here.

Andy didn't love it the first time I made these. He didn't think it was sweet enough and they were too doughy. I made some changes and it turned out much better this time.

I used some canned apples for apple pie. Sugar is added before they are canned, so that made up for the sweetness. I could also see using fresh chopped apples, and just sprinkle a little sugar on them. I used way less butter. 2 Tablespoons of butter was plenty. The dough has lots of butter in it anyways, I am sure. I have made these with orange juice once and apple cider once. I think either way was fine. I added 1/4 cup quick oats to the cinnamon and brown sugar. I cooked as directed and then took off the tin foil and cooked 5 more minutes.

We all liked these much better this time. I will be making these again. I think I'll try to make 8 smaller dumplings instead of 4 big ones. I also want to find a homemade dough for crescents instead of store bought, if possible.

Here's the recipe:

A Few Shortcuts Apple Dumplings
  • 1 – 8 ounce can crescent rolls (or 2 small cans)
  • 2 – lg. apples, peeled, cored and chopped (sprinkled with some sugar)
  • 1 – stick butter or margarine (way too much. I use 2-3 Tbs.)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup orange juice (or apple juice/cider)
  • ice cream or whipped cream (optional)
Separate crescent roll dough into 4 rectangles being sure to seal seams well. I used a rolling pin. It sealed the seams across the middle perfectly.
Place about ½ cup chopped apple in the center of each rectangle and pull corners to cover apple.
Pinch dough together, sealing all seams.
Place in lightly greased 9″ square baking dish. (I only have 8x8, not 9x9. It worked fine.)
Brush with melted butter (You can also drizzle.)
Combine sugar and cinnamon. (I added oats)
Sprinkle sugar over dumplings. Pour orange juice into dish.
Cover with foil.
Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. (Uncover after 35 minutes and bake 5 more minutes.)
Serve hot with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.
Serves 4. (These are HUGE!)
You could also make this with peaches. Or add Pecans and Raisins to the filling. There are so many options!
This recipe made me realize some things are easier to make than I ever would have guessed.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. These look SO good!!! I would love to find a homemade substitute for the crescent roll dough. Granted it would require more time and effort, but I just don't keep crescent rolls around. Anyway, these look and sound fantastic!! Don't you just love tweaking a recipe until it's juuuuust right? Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth! I made these again last night. This time I made 8 mini dumplings. One dumpling for each crescent roll. They didn't need as long to cook, and I felt better about myself that I was eating a smaller serving size. Now, I just need to figure out a homemade crescent roll recipe and I'll be really happy!

    ReplyDelete