Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Honey Lime Enchiladas

My mom and I call these "Allie's Enchilladas". When my sister Ruth had her little girl Allie two years ago somebody brought these to her for dinner. They used chicken, but I can get pork loin for a pretty good price, so I have always made it that way instead. At any rate, one of the reasons I am thankful that Allie was born is that it introduced Ruth to this recipe, and she shared it with me.

These are really really great. It calls for a lot of honey, and the enchiladas are really sweet. That is probably why they are so good to me. This is a recipe I know Andy loves. Even the boys usually eat this meal. (Not tonight though...)

Here's the recipe:

Allie's Enchiladas

3/4 cup honey
juice from 2 limes (I figure a juicy lime will yield 2 Tablespoons)
1 T. chili power
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 t. cumin
1 pound chicken breast or tender, cooked and shredded (I use pork)
8-10 flour tortillas
1 pound monterey jack cheese, shredded
16 ounces green enchilada sauce (I have only found this in 10 ounce cans, so I use two cans)
1 c. heavy cream (optional- I have never used this)

Mix first 5 ingredients and toss with shredded chicken. Let marinate for at least 1/2 hour. Pour about 1/2 c. enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan. Fill tortillas with chicken and shredded cheese, saving about 1 c. cheese to sprinkle on top. Mix remaining enchilada sauce with the cream and leftover marinade. Pour sauce on top of enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 min. uncovered until brown and crispy on top.


Also, to make these extra yummy and stretch the pork further I have started adding a can of black beans and some lime cilantro rice (recipe to follow) to the enchiladas. I didn't measure how much, I just made it generous portions, but still easy to roll them up. I made 13 enchiladas this time. I put 8 in a 9x13 dish and cooked up for tonight. The other 5 I froze for some other time in an 8x8 dish.

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment