Sunday, November 20, 2011

Homemade Soft Pretzels

I love this recipe from my sister Ruth (I'm not sure where she got it):

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 package active dry yeast (1 scant T)
22 ounces all-purpose flour (approx. 4 1/2 cups)
2 oz. unsalted butter, melted (half a stick)
Vegetable oil, for pan (or cooking spray)
10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda
1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Pretzel Salt

Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt an the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam. Add the flour and butter and, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Change to Medium speed and knead the dough until it is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approx. 4 to 5 minutes. Remove dough from bowl, clean the bowl and then oil it well with vegetable oil. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and sit in a warm place approx. 50-55 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with oil (or cooking spray). Set aside.

Bring the 10 cups of water and baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart saucepan or roasting pan.

In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope. Make a U shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel. Place onto the sheet pan.

Place the pretzels into the boiling water one by one for 30 seconds each. Remove them from the water using a large, flat spatula. Return to the half sheet pan, brush the top of each pretzel with the beaten egg yolk and water mixture and sprinkle with pretzel salt. Bake until dark golden brown in color, approx. 12-14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack at least 5 minutes before serving.

**
The water and baking soda bath seemed like a funny thing to do, but apparently it is essential to get the right texture and flavor.

Photobucket

I skipped the egg yolk and water mixture. I just sprayed them with cooking spray. I think I'll use some melted butter after they are done baking next time. Yum!

I did half with cinnamon sugar and half with kosher salt. The salty ones were good dipped in melted cheese, mustard or honey mustard.

The cinnamon ones we dipped in a cream cheese frosting:

4 oz cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 Tablespoon butter
milk- enough to make the frosting the consistency you like
I usually add a little vanilla, but I accidentally forgot this time

I made a batch in the morning and then again in the evening since I already had the baking soda - water. My second batch I made 16 smaller pretzels and they cooked in about 8-10 minutes.

ALSO: I accidentally used one cup of whole wheat flour when I made the first batch. But I liked it, and I like to think that there is some extra fiber in the pretzels, so they have more nutritional value. So I used it again in my second batch. So it was 3 1/2 cups white flour and 1 cup wheat flour.

1 comment:

  1. This is an Alton Brown recipe. Hooray for Good Eats!!!

    ReplyDelete