Sunday, September 9, 2012

Cheddar Cheese Spinach Quiche

I love quiche!  Andy does not.  This recipe takes me back to being a kid.  My mom would make quiche, and I think it was either this recipe or a salmon quiche, which I hated.  There might be a quiche Lorraine recipe that she used too.  I'm not sure.  At any rate, I was in the mood for some quiche, and even though I knew Andy would complain, I went for it anyways!

I love that the main ingredient is spinach, but I mostly notice the bacon and cheese.  Abe and Eli were not excited to eat this dinner at first, but once Abe took a bite he said, "This is yummy!  You should make this again!"  Much to Andy's dismay, and very different from Abe's usual, "This is disgusting, never make this again!"  Once Abe was eating it Eli decided to go for it too, and seemed to like it.  Hooray!  Sorry Andy!  I will make this recipe again.

Here's the recipe (from my mom):

Ingredients:
10 oz frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I love sharp cheddar, but only had mild and it was fine)
2 Tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
3 crisply cooked slices bacon, crumbled (I used 4 or so)
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash pepper
9 inch unbaked pastry shell (I want to learn how to make my own pie crust... some day...)

Directions:
Drain spinach well.
Toss cheese with flour.
Add spinach, milk, eggs, bacon and salt and pepper.  Mix well.
Pour into pastry shell.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  (It seemed a little over cooked to me, especially the crust, so keep an eye on it)
Garnish with additional bacon, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment