I made the dough in my bread machine, so it was as simple as could be. I was nervous because there's no oil or butter in the dough, but it turned out great. It had a really nice flavor and texture, so I was really pleased.
I also made half and rolled the sides up to seal the edges and the other half I used a fork to sort of crimp the edges for a seal. The ones done with the fork looked nicer, but cheese oozed out more during baking, so I'll roll the sides up in the future.
These were great dipped in honey mustard. I'm sure broccoli would go well with ham and cheese. The boys want me to make pizza pockets next time. It will be fun to play around with yummy fillings now that we know the dough is so good.
I found the recipe here.
Here's the recipe:
Freezer-Friendly Ham & Cheese Pockets
From Moneysavingmom
Dough:- 3 cups flour
- 4 Tablespoons dry milk (4 Tablespoons is the same as 1/4 cup)
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- Sliced ham
- Shredded or sliced cheese
To make dough by hand: Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in salt, sugar, and dry milk. Add flour and stir until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Dump dough onto a floured surface and knead for around 5 minutes, until a soft dough forms. Add a little more flour, if needed.
To make Ham & Cheese Pockets: Divide dough into 10-14 balls. Roll each ball into a rectangle. Put ham and cheese on half of the rectangle. Fold dough over and pinch sides to seal tightly.
Bake Pockets on a greased cookie sheet at 350-degrees for 15-18 minutes, until lightly browned.
To freeze: Let cool completely. Freeze in airtight ziptop freezer bags for up to 2-3 months.
To serve: Remove desired number of pizza pockets from the freezer and warm them individually in the microwave for about two minutes or until heated through. Or, warm on a cookie sheet in a 350-degrees oven for 20 minutes, or until heated through.
Have you tried these reheated from the freezer yet? Sounds promising. And FYI, you can roll the edge THEN crimp it with the fork to get the best of both worlds. :)
ReplyDelete