Saturday, September 22, 2012

Sticky Coconut Chicken

Wow!!  This meal was amazing!  The whole family loved this one.  It reminded me of a teriyaki bowl I used to get in Provo at Teriyaki Stix.  Yum!

This is another recipe from my go-to website melskitchencafe.com found here.  On many of the comments made on her website people said to double the sauce.  I agree!  The sauce is the best part of this dish.

Here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I had thighs this time, 6 pieces were 1.5 lbs. I want to try this with chicken breasts next time.  The thighs tasted great, but there is too much fat that I just can't trim away.)
1 cup canned coconut milk
1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger (I used 1/2 tsp. dry ground ginger)
1 tsp. fresh ground pepper (I don't like pepper, so I used 1/2 tsp.)
1 tsp. red pepper flakes (Abe and Eli don't like spicy food, so I skipped this)

Marinade chicken in coconut milk, ginger, pepper and red pepper flakes at least one hour (I let mine marinade four about four to five hours). Grill on barbecue. (We don't have a grill, so I used our grill pan.)

Glaze:
3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. red pepper flakes (I skipped this)

DIRECTIONS:

While the chicken is grilling, bring above ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until mixture is reduced and thickened, about 8-10 minutes. Be patient because it takes a little while. But once it starts getting really thick, immediately take it off the heat! Glaze both sides of chicken the last few minutes of grilling and serve chicken over rice.

Sidenote: I used the extra coconut milk left in the can (about 1/2 cup) as part of the liquid in my rice. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment