Monday, December 5, 2011

Andy's Mom's Excellent Roll Recipe

This recipe is so good! It was the first roll recipe I learned to make. Andy's mom showed me how several years ago. I've been having so much fun trying new recipes, so this one got tucked away. I found the recipe, and I made these to go with the turkey I made last week. I was amazed. I had forgotten just how good these are. They are so soft, light and fluffy. They are the best rolls I have made- probably ever. (I wanted to try to make the dough in my bread machine, but it rises a lot and I think it would overflow and make a giant mess. I'll just stick with my Kitchen Aid.)

Here's the recipe:

Mom's Excellent Rolls

Note: These are great when dough is made the night before and allowed to rise in fridge overnight.

Ingredients:

1 cup warm water
1 Tablespoon yeast

1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs, beaten well
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup powdered milk
4 cups flour

Directions:

Mix water and yeast. Let stand 5 minutes. (When I proof my yeast I like to add a pinch of sugar to help it along.)

While yeast is standing-

Beat eggs first.
Add the butter, sugar and salt.
Add the yeast mixture.
Add powdered milk.
Add flour.

Rise at least 2 hours. Use flour to handle (the dough is really sticky) and roll out and then rise 2 more hours.

OR

Chill overnight, covered. Then roll out and rise 3 1/2 to 5 hours.

Bake at 400 degrees 10-15 minutes or until golden and delicious. (I think my oven only took 8 minutes, so check a few minutes early to avoid burning the rolls.)

I did a double batch. Look how huge it is! The dough got even bigger before I deflated it and rolled it out.

Photobucket

Here are the finished rolls. Impossible to resist. Especially with a little butter and homemade strawberry jam on top.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment