Monday, December 5, 2011

Snickerdoodles

Last night was the First Presidency Devotional for our church. I love it! It is always so uplifting to hear the Prophet and his counselors speak. Plus the choir and orchestra perform such beautiful music. (It was last year's Devotional that I heard "What Shall We Give to the Babe in the Manger?" for the first time. Wow! Here it is on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7JWCG8KJUs)

What does the First Presidency Devotional have to do with Snickerdoodles? Well, I've been thinking a lot about traditions for my family. We do many traditions with extended family close by, but we haven't really formed many of our own. I asked Andy what tradition could we start to go along with watching the Devotional as a family. He suggested cookies. :) I don't know if it will be Snickerdoodles every year, but we will be having cookies as we listen to the First Presidency Devotional from now on.

This recipe is from my Betty Crocker Cookbook. It is easy and fast and they are really good. I have made these before and way over-baked them. Just cook for the directed time and let them sit on the cookie sheet a few minutes and they firm up, but still are nice and soft.

Here's the recipe:

Snickerdoodles

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 large eggs
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Directions:

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Beat 1 1/2 cups sugar, the butter, shortening, and eggs in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.

Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Mix 1/4 sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl. Rolls balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool on wire rack.

Photobucket

Here's a fun fact from my cookbook:

"This nonsensically named cookie originated in New England in the 1800s."

No comments:

Post a Comment