Monday, December 5, 2011

Mixed Potato Home Fries

I love these potatoes so much! I made them twice last week. It was perfect because Aldi had 10 lbs of potatoes for $1.50 and the week before I was able to get sweet potatoes for 25 cents per pound! This recipe ended up so cheap to make! Hooray!

I dice the potatoes and sweet potatoes really really little so it cooks up extra fast.

This recipe comes from one of my favorite food blogs: BudgetBytes. http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/01/mixed-potato-home-fries-251-recipe-063.html

Here's the recipe:

Mixed Potato Home Fries

INGREDIENTS

3 Tbsp butter (or margarine)

1 medium onion (I like to use a big medium one. It tastes so good!)

about 1 lb. sweet potato

about 1 lb. red potatoes (I'm sure this would be great. I use regular potatoes.)

1 Tbsp vegetable oil

to taste: seasoned salt (I measured this last time I made these and I used 1/2 Tbsp, and I thought it was a little under-seasoned.)

1 handful fresh parsley (Optional, but really good)

STEP 1: Melt the butter in a large, heavy bottomed skillet. As the butter is melting, dice the onion. Add the onion and cook over medium heat until it just begins to turn golden.

STEP 2: While the onion is cooking, wash, peel and dice the sweet potato. Wash, but do not peel the red potatoes. Dice both potatoes in 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes. Try to get the potatoes cut in as even sized chunks as possible so that they cook evenly.

STEP 3: Add the potatoes to the skillet and cook until tender. If you have a lid for the skillet, this will trap the steam and help them cook faster. Stir the potatoes every few minutes to make sure they all come in contact with the hot skillet. Use a fork to test the tenderness of a few different pieces.

STEP 4: Once the potatoes are fork tender, crank the heat up toward high. Add an additional tablespoon of vegetable oil to help the frying along and let the potatoes brown to a crisp. Only stir every five minutes or so to allow the bottom layer of potatoes to crisp and brown.

STEP 5: When the potatoes are brown and crispy on the edges, season to your liking. Chop some fresh parsley and sprinkle over top before serving.

Photobucket

1 comment: