Thursday, December 8, 2011

Homemade Peppermint Oreos

Oh, how I love these cookies! They are so easy to make. Andy and I made these the other night. When we mixed up the frosting Andy kept telling me it needed more mint. I agreed that the mint flavor was subtle, but decided to just go with it. I'm so glad I didn't add more mint, because once the cookies are assembled they were just perfect!

I have a Pillsbury book of holiday foods and they have something similar, but from scratch instead of a cake mix. I want to give it a try to see how they compare.

(I think Ruth gave this recipe to me.)

Here's the recipe:

Homemade Peppermint Oreos
2 boxes Devil's food cake mix (I have used many different brands, they all worked great)
4 eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil

Frosting:
1 (8ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
sprinkles or crushed candy cane for decorating
green or red food coloring

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl combine the cake mix, eggs, and oil with a mixer. The batter will be very stiff. Pinch of pieces of batter and roll into 1 inch balls. Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets and flatten slightly with fingertips. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove immediately from the cookie sheets with a spatula and cool on a wire rack.

In a small glass bowl, combine the cream cheese and butter until completely blended. Gradually add in the powdered sugar and peppermint extract and mix until the icing is smooth. Color frosting green or red if desired. Spread half of the cookies with icing and top with remaining cookies.
Photobucket

I know it doesn't look like much from the picture, but these cookies are amazing! We were lazy and didn't do food coloring, sprinkles or candy canes, but it's really not too hard to make them look nice and festive.

1 comment:

  1. My version actually calls for shortening rather than vegetable oil, but I'd imagine they'd end up softer with the oil. Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete