Monday, December 26, 2011

Breakfast Casserole

When I was growing up our Christmas morning breakfast was always an egg casserole and caramel pecan rolls. My mom would do all the prep work the night before. We would also set the table for Christmas breakfast the night before. I still remember how excited I was Christmas Eve for our family festivities that night and Christmas morning being so close!

This year I wanted to do something similar for our breakfast. I made the apple-cinnamon or harvest rolls recipe again, because those were amazing! To go with that I made this casserole that I found in a cookbook of slow-cooker recipe that I changed slightly to use an 8x8 baking dish instead.

It turned out perfect. Andy and I loved it. The boys would not eat a single bite. Lucky for them it was Christmas, so I didn't make them try it.

Here's the recipe:

Breakfast Casserole

1/2 lb. ground pork sausage
half of a 28-32 oz package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 cup (8 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
6 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dry mustard

Cook sausage in a medium skillet until it is no longer pink. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Place hash browns in a lightly greased 8x8 baking dish. Spoon sausage over the hash browns, then sprinkle with cheese. Whisk eggs together with milk, salt, pepper, and mustard powder. Pour over the cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Photobucket

I could see this becoming our breakfast tradition every Christmas. Especially if I could get the boys to eat it.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds very much like mom's breakfast casserole, except with potatoes instead of bread. I think I'll have to try your version soon!

    ReplyDelete