Thursday, December 29, 2011

End of the Oven

On Christmas Eve I was getting ready to bake some cookies. I always check in the oven to make sure it is empty before I turn it on. I tried to open the oven, but it would not budge. I asked Andy to use his manly strength to open the oven door. Surprisingly, he wasn't able to open it either. He did manage to get the door off, and we saw that the left hinge was bent way out of shape. This wasn't a huge shock because it is old, and it had been squeaking when I opened and closed the oven door. The timing was pretty bad though. But honestly, when is it ever a good time for an appliance to die?

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's a pretty old oven, but I hoped we could replace the hinge seeing that the oven works and all. Sadly, it is very difficult and a bit pricey to buy oven hinges. We decided to go for it and just replace the whole thing. I had no idea how much ovens cost! Yikes!

Here's a funny side-story. Andy and Abe put cookies out for Santa Christmas Eve night. Andy helped Abe write a note to Santa telling him what to bring. (We never made it to see Santa this year. Oops!) He asked for Thomas trains and also a new oven for Mommy. Andy told Abe that it was probably too late for Santa to bring me an oven on such short notice. Abe thought about it and said, well maybe he can give us a good coupon for one! That made me laugh! Oh, that boy knows his mama!

We shopped around on Monday and found one we like that was 25% off the regular price! Way to go Santa! I was so happy because it has nice features like self-cleaning, timed baking, and a drawer below to name a few. All the extras for the same price as the ones without the same things. Our nice new oven will be coming in about a week. Until then I'll go to my mom's house down the street for any baking. So far being without an oven hasn't slowed down my baking. I am grateful to live so close to my parents!

2 comments:

  1. That story is precious! Man, I miss your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh MAN!!!! This is so horrible I can't stop laughing! The oven with the front laying on the floor is just crazy!!

    I'm really sorry your oven died, but I'm so excited for you to enjoy a nice new one. I hope you love it.

    Dan got me a dishwasher for Christmas to replace our old one that was a waste of space. It made me cringe to spend so much on something, but man oh man it makes me happy every time I see our sparkling clean dishes come out.

    And I think it's awesome that Abe wanted Santa to bring you a coupon. What a good boy!

    ReplyDelete