Sunday, October 23, 2011

Burritos

I have been making black beans and "refried" beans in my crockpot recently. I love how easy and inexpensive it is. Especially since I buy my beans in bulk at the Bishop's Storehouse.

All of these beans around has led me to search for new and yummy recipes to use the beans up. I found the awesome idea to make burritos here: http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2010/10/freezer-burritos-759-recipe-095-each.html Seriously, I don't know how I would survive without that blog. I love her step by step photos and price breakdowns. (I especially like it when I can get ingredients for cheaper. For example I get 10 medium sized tortillas for 99 cents at Aldi. That blows her price out of the water!)

I liked the idea, but I don't follow her recipe exactly. I don't love jalapenos, and I skip the spices. This is how I do it:

Ingredients
1 can refried beans, or equivalent from crockpot cooking
some salsa (sorry, I don't measure this)
cheddar cheese, shredded
tortillas (I use a medium size)
optional
cooked, diced chicken
other cooked meats

I get out seven or eight tortillas. Usually I do eight, I only had seven left in the bag this time. I put the refried beans in a bowl and mix a little salsa in it. (It's the same method I use when making a layered bean dip, and I really like the flavor of the salsa combined with the beans.) If I am using chicken, I mix that in too. Then I spread this mixture on the tortillas. Then I sprinkle some cheese over that.

Photobucket

Then I fold both sides over.

Photobucket

Fold the bottom up.

Photobucket

Fold the top down.

Photobucket

Put in a freezer bag and freeze. I don't wrap the burritos individually, but we eat them fast enough that it's not a problem.

Photobucket

I love the versatility of this recipe. Whatever ingredients I like and have around I use when making these. Sometimes I use chicken or pork, sometimes it is just beans and cheese. I think they would be great with corn or rice too.

One time I made Taco Chicken Bowls http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/07/taco-chicken-bowls-1066-recipe-133.html for dinner. It made a whole lot of food. I took some of the taco chicken mixture and combined with refried beans (it may seem like too many beans with the black beans and refried beans, but it was so good!!!) I sprinkled some cheese over it and wrapped them up in tortillas and froze for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment