Now, I am cheap. I have no problem admitting that. I cut costs on any little thing that I can. I don't have texting on my phone because I am unwilling to pay $5/month for it. I bring this up because I made a fatal mistake. The recipe calls for butter. Like the cheapskate that I am I used margarine instead because I can get it for 80 cents a box instead of $2.50 (or more!) per box for butter. The cookies looked fine. The taste wasn't great. As soon as I took the first bite of my cookie I knew what I had done. I quick whipped up a batch with real butter and the difference was huge. I was relieved and not at all surprised to discover that Crystal's recipe was awesome, when I used the proper ingredients.
Here's the recipe:
Crystal’s Sugar Cookies
2/3 cup butter (I used 1/2 cup, also I use unsalted butter so I added a pinch of salt to the recipe)
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp & 1 tsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 cups flour
To make:
Cream the butter, sugar, milk & vanilla in a large bowl at medium speed.
Beat in the egg
Combine flour & baking powder in a separate bowl & then add to creamed mixture.
Take all that & separate it into 2 balls & cover & refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Heat oven to 375, roll out half the dough to 1/8 inch thickness on a floured surface & cut into shapes.
Place each cookie about 2 inches apart, bake 7-9 minutes.
Frost & decorate!
No comments:
Post a Comment