Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Counting my Blessings

My boys have been sick which can make it hard to keep positive. Even though both Abe and Eli have had a nasty stomach bug, I am feeling mostly okay. Honestly, I feel queasy every time I have to clean up the vomit, but other than that I don't feel like I have much to complain about. Well, that's not entirely true. It seems like when the weather is nice out the boys are sick and we miss out on opportunities to enjoy it. That stinks and makes me sad, but that is one of the hardest things I have faced as the boys have been sick. I think it's because I have so much to be grateful for.

  • I am grateful that my boys don't whine and complain when they are sick. They totally could. They feel gross and can't keep anything down. I know I whine and am very vocal when I am sick. These two little boys just take it in stride. That makes it so much easier.
  • I am grateful for such a helpful husband. We have had three different nights where the boys have thrown up ALL OVER in the middle of the night. Andy could have slept through it. He has work in the morning and needs to be well rested so he can be at his best. Every time he has done everything possible to help comfort the boys and clean up the mess. I am so blessed.
  • I am grateful Abe threw up tonight at 8:45 pm. I am really hoping that he is done for the night and we can all sleep through the night. That would be amazing.
  • I am grateful Abe asked us to move his bed into Eli's room. Abe still doesn't get the concept of getting sick into a garbage can, toilet or bowl. The nice thing is Eli's room (now the boys' room) isn't carpeted. Clean up was nowhere near as bad as it could have been. I'm so glad that so far we have avoided the need to rent a carpet cleaner!
  • Another one about Andy- I am so grateful he can be flexible with work. Eli had a flu shot scheduled this morning and I wasn't sure how I was going to make that work with Abe being sick. Andy was able to come home and stay with Abe while I took Eli to the doctor's office. That could have been such a headache and source of stress, but it wasn't an issue at all.
  • I am grateful for Disney movies, Bob the Builder and Thomas the Tank Engine. These shows have helped occupy my sick boys' attentions.
  • I am grateful for my washer and dryer. I love my front loader. I love that our king size comforter fit it there! And I love the convenience of not having to go to a laundry mat or laundry room like back in college.
There are more things I could list, but those are the big things that I thought of first. There are so many people dealing with much worse health issues than this temporary problem for us. When I think of things this way, I come away feeling much better about our situation.

Photobucket

Abe watching Bob the Builder.

2 comments:

  1. Those poor sick little boys!! Good thing they have you and Andy to take care of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your blog! I can't believe how old Eli is looking since you were here. You are such a good mom! :)

    ReplyDelete