I loved it! It was a little salty for my taste, so I'll cut down on the soy sauce or use low-sodium soy sauce next time. Ruth also has a recipe for the little pancakes that go with Mu Shu. I know they are a little time intensive, so I didn't make them this time. I wanted to make sure I had a good Mu Shu recipe first. Now that I know this recipe is a keeper I will try the pancakes next time. I used regular flour tortillas for Mexican food.
Here's the recipe:
Mu Shu Pork
Marinade:
8 oz. pork loin, trimmed and cut into thin match-stick strips
1 T. rice vinegar
2 T. soy sauce
1 t. sesame oil
1 t. cornstarch
1 T. minced garlic
1 T. minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 t. brown sugar
_______________________
1/4 c. vegetable oil
3 large eggs, beaten
2 c. thinly sliced cabbage
1/2 c. finely chopped green onions
1 c. fresh bean sprouts
1/2 c. bamboo shoots
1 t. minced garlic
2 T. soy sauce
1 t. sugar
Hoisin Sauce
Mandarin Pancakes (recipe follows)
In a bowl toss the pork with marinade ingredients. Cover and marinate refrigerated for 2-4 hours. (**Now's a good time to make the pancakes!!**)
In large wok or sautee pan heat 2 T. oilover medium-high heat. Add the eggs and quickly scramble. Remove eggs and set aside.
Heat remaining 2 T. oil in the wok and add drained pork. Stir fry until browned and cooked through, about 3 min. Remove and set aside. Add remaining ingredients (except hoisin sauce and pancakes) to the wok and stir fry until wilted and well-combined, about 2 min. Return pork to the pan and stir to mix well and heat through. Add the eggs and mix well. Remove from heat and serve.


Mmmm, mu shu. I'm so sorry none of your boys appreciated it. I haven't made this for a while, I may have to rotate it in soon. Did the chicken work alright?
ReplyDeleteOh, and it may be an Emeril recipe. And I'm 99% sure the original recipe called for some time of mushrooms, but I refuse to cook with fungi.
ReplyDeleteThe mu shu was perfect with chicken. I loved it. And you crack me up about the mushrooms. I generally don't like mushrooms, but they serve their purpose in some recipes
ReplyDeleteIf the purpose is grossing people out and making food taste bad, then yes, mushrooms serve a purpose in some recipes.
ReplyDeleteI made this for dinner last night using the chicken. I sampled the chicken before I mixed it back with everything else, and it tasted WAY salty. By the time the meal was served, though, it was fine.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking--maybe it's because you didn't use the bean sprouts. They have a pretty high water content, which could easily dilute the saltiness.
Also, I made the pancakes. Just so you know--they aren't hard at all. They just require some time. If you plan it right, you can work making them around your other prep to minimize down time. And I'd recommend using an electric griddle rather than a skillet to cook them so you can do more than one at a time. That is a big time-saver.