Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Teaching Abe to Read

I'm really excited about this. My sister Ruth told me that she has been working on teaching her son who is about 6 weeks older than Abe how to read. Amazing! I asked her how she is doing it and she said a friend told her about this book:

Photobucket

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Engelmann, Haddox and Bruner. I immediately requested the book from our local library (I LOVE our library.). Days later I had the book. Today Abe and I did the first lesson. It was so easy! It took about 15 minutes, and I think Abe enjoyed it. Well, by the end I had to motivate him with some fruit snacks and Thomas the tank engine, but it's a start.

I'm so happy Ruth told me about this book. I have wanted to work with Abe on reading and other skills, but I didn't have any idea where to start. Thanks Ruth!!

3 comments:

  1. Yay!! I'm glad lesson 1 went so well!!! There have been a couple of lessons where the instructions change a bit, making them harder/more challenging. I think somewhere around lesson 8 was one of those times, and Grady just did NOT want to do lessons any more. Just a heads up so you don't get discouraged if Abe reacts similarly.

    Are you having Abe practice writing the letters, too?

    Good luck!! Let me know how it goes for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up about lesson 8. I forgot to have him do a lesson yesterday, but Tuesday I tried to get him to practice writing. He didn't like that part at all. He has a hard time holding the pencil. I think I may take your approach and have writing practice be optional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figure I'll go back and do more structured writing lessons when he's done with the reading. Grady really struggles to control the pen enough to write good letters most of the time, but I have been impressed with the improvement he's made just doing some optional letters here and there.

    And I don't know if it was lesson 8 exactly. Just around there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete