Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Chili

This is my mom's chili recipe. I love it. I think it is the Betty Crocker Cookbook recipe with a few minor changes.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 lb. hamburger
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
2 med. celery stalks, sliced (about 1 cup)
2-3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or Red Hot or whatever)

Those are the amounts needed for the regular recipe which makes about 5 cups of chili. I doubled it today, and my mom often triples or quadruples the recipe as it freezes really well.

Alterations already:
My mom usually uses garlic powder. The ratio is approx. 1/2 teaspoon for every clove called for. But when mom makes it she actually uses 1 teaspoon for every clove called for. She likes garlic! I like to use minced garlic. I buy it at Costco in a huge tub.

When doubling the recipe, my mom uses 1 can of diced tomatoes and 1 can of tomato sauce. I don't remember what she said she does if it's tripled... probably 2 cans of diced tomatoes and 1 can of tomato sauce, but if you're making it, do what sounds best to you!

Also, when we double the recipe we use 1 can of kidney beans and 1 can of black beans. I really like that!

I take it easy on the chili powder and Tabasco sauce.

Today I used half ground turkey and half ground beef. I am excited to see how it turns out.

Directions:

Mostly cook the hamburger.
Drain off the grease.
Then add the garlic, onion and celery.
Cook until the onions and celery start to turn lighter, and you can tell they are cooked.
Stir in tomatoes (with liquid), chili powder, salt, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce.
Stir. Then add the beans. The recipe says to wait to add the beans, but I think adding them sooner works great!
Heat to boiling.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour.

That's it! It's really not that difficult, but it's so good!!


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I made it. It was a surprise for Libby...and she LOVED IT!!! Thank you for posting one of her favorite recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you made it and it was a nice surprise for Libby! She is lucky you know your way around the kitchen so well!

    ReplyDelete