Sunday, October 9, 2011

Mint Brownies

Andy LOVES mint brownies. I have tried to make them before and the mint to frosting ratio has never tasted quite right. Well, I found a recipe that is perfect. No surprise it is from http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2008/04/chocolate-mint-brownies.html How did I ever cook before I found her and her amazing recipes?

She has a recipe for brownies. I just used a mix from a box and then used the frosting and chocolate parts of the recipe.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

Box of brownie mix and all ingredients called for on the box (usually water, oil and eggs).
Mint layer:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 drops green food coloring
Glaze:
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons butter


Directions

Prepare brownies in 9x13 pan. Cool completely.

To prepare mint layer, combine powdered sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, and next 3 ingredients (through food coloring) in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer until smooth. Spread mint mixture over cooled brownies.
To prepare the glaze, combine the chocolate chips and 3 tablespoons butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until melted, stirring after 30 seconds. Let stand 2 minutes. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over top. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Photobucket

The mint flavor is so amazing! In the past I have tried to use store bought tubs of vanilla frosting and add food coloring and peppermint extract. I think making the frosting makes a HUGE difference because the mint isn't having to battle with the vanilla.

I think the extra layer of chocolate on top is what made these brownies 100 times better than ones I have made in the past. Next time I might do more chocolate chips so the chocolate layer is a little thicker. There will definitely be a next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment